Each year, the National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE) agrees to a national conference that brings together over 1,000 scientific, educational, business, civil society, and government professionals from various fields to explore the connections between science and decision making. a particular high-profile environmental issue .
As part of the conference, NCSE also holds the annual John H. Chafee Memorial Lecture on Science and the Environment. The lecture provides a high-profile forum for communicating the importance and potential for science in environmental decision-making by a renowned expert in the field. At the conference, participants develop recommendations and strategies to achieve science-based solutions to complex environmental problems. Following the conference, NCSE:
- Produces and disseminates conference recommendations developed by participants;
- Provides briefings to Congress, other institutions, and decision-makers capable of implementing the conference recommendations;
- Strives to develop or facilitate the development of new programs based on recommendations from the conference; and
- Publishes the John H. Chafee Memorial Lecture.
Goals for the National Conference
- Embrace has “solutions” focus for the meeting and its products
- Select conference topics that are major challenges to the world and to which science can contribute significantly towards solutions.
- Provide a rich “how-to” experience in the integration of environmental science and policy to develop solutions for major environmental challenges facing society .
- Increase the number and diversity of participants at the conference.
- Build on the meeting results in the other NCSE programs
- Integrate Affiliate universities and colleges in the meeting more broadly and encourages them to become part of the implementation of the plans
- Use the conference to broaden the network of NCSE’s supporters and its programs.
|List of Conferences|
|14th||Building Climate Solutions|
|13th||Disasters and Environment: Science Preparedness and Resilience|
|12th||Environment and Security|
|11th||Our Changing Oceans|
|10th||The New Green Economy|
|9th||Biodiversity in the Rapidly Changing World|
|8th||Climate Change: Science and Solutions|
|7th||Integrating Environment and Human Health|
|6th||Energy for a Sustainable and Secure Future|
|5th||Forecasting Environmental Changes|
|4th||Water for a Sustainable and Secure Future|
|3rd||Education for a Sustainable and Secure Future|
|2nd||Sustainable Communities: Science & Solutions|
|1st||Improving the Scientific Basis for Environmental Decisionmaking|
|Future Conferences||Sustainable Cities|