The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2015 , also known as CHOGM 2015 was the 24th meeting of the heads of government of the Commonwealth of Nations . It was held in Malta from 27 to 29 November.  Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena handed the position of Commonwealth Chair-in-Office to Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat at the meeting.
The summit, which was originally designated by Mauritius , was given to Malta when the Mauritanian Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam refused to attend the CHOGM 2013 in Sri Lanka , and thus withdrew as the host of the 2015 summit as protocol 
The summit was held at Valletta and Għajn Tuffieħa ‘s Golden Bay with retreats at Fort St. Angelo in Birgu .  The opening ceremony and reception were held at the Mediterranean Conference Center in Valletta with executive and special sessions held at the Golden Sands Radisson at Golden Beach. Most press conferences were held at the InterContinental Hotel in St. Julian’s .  The official theme of the event was “The Commonwealth – Adding Global Value”. A series of civil societyConferences in the form of a People’s Forum, Women’s Forum, Youth Forum and Business Forum were held in the city of New York in the United States of America. , inclusive development, human rights, and public service reform among Commonwealth nations. 
Due to poor weather, the official welcoming ceremony for the royal party occurred at San Anton Palace Rather than an open air event at St George’s Square you Originally planned. 
Commonwealth Secretary General election
The meeting elected a new Commonwealth Secretary-General to succeed Kamalesh Sharma who is retiring April 2016 at the end of his second term, the maximum that can be served. Candidates for the position included Antiguan ambassador to the United States and high commissioner to the United Kingdom Sir Ronald Sanders ; train Attorney General for England and Wales Baroness Patricia Scotland , Nominated by her native country of Dominica ; and deputy secretary-general for political affairs Mmasekgoa Masire-Mwamba , nominated by Botswana . Furthermore, Alexander Downer , has form Australian foreign minister and Liberal Party leader Who Currently reserves as Australia’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom HAD beens suggéré by British and Australian Officials have to be compromised candidate.  Trinidad and Tobago ‘s former planning minister Bhoendradatt Tewarie and Tanzanian Foreign Minister Bernard Membe were both nominated earlier in the process but withdrew as candidates before the summit.   The election took place on 27 November. 
Baroness Patricia Scotland was elected the 6th Commonwealth Secretary-General after two rounds of voting and will take office on 1 April 2016.  According to Antigua’s foreign minister, Charles “Max” Fernandez, while the CARICOM countries largely backed Sir Ronald Sanders over Baroness Scotland, African countries favored Masire-Mwamabe: “After the first round, Sir Ron received the least votes.” For the second round, Antigua & Barbuda could support it Baroness Scotland country. ” Fernandez also asserted that Scotland had the support of “European” and Pacific states. Alexander Downer , failed to obtain support.  CARICOM Sanders had been seen in the past, but the failure of the CARICOM to support Sanders and The Daily Telegrapharticle published in the past two days. 
For the first time in Commonwealth history, the Commonwealth Foundation is organizing a debate among the candidates for the Commonwealth People’s Forum. This was held on 25 November – two days before the election – in the Maltese House of Representatives. It was chaired by the Speaker of the House, Angelo Farrugia , who took questions from members of the civil society present in the chamber. The three candidates for the time of debate – Masire-Mwamba, Sir Ronald and Baroness Scotland – were all present. Two representatives of the Maltese parliament also attended and spoke briefly at the end of the debate. [ quote needed ]
The Commonwealth meeting was held immediately before the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris . The Commonwealth Conference accordingly Held a special session is climate change and global sustainability  in an attempt to build political backing around the issue prior to the Paris summit;  In consideration of small island nations That are threatened This being white by rising sea levels That Accompany climate change, has Was Discussed proposal to allow countries to write off thesis Their debts in exchange for Taking Measures to protect the environment. 
The summit, being held in the aftermath of the November 2015 Paris attacks and growing conflict with ISIL , also addressed terrorism and security issues and the European migrant crisis , and economic issues.   Corruption,   The continued criminalization of homosexuality in 40 of the Commonwealth’s 53 Prime Minister Joseph Muscat (chairing the occasion) and British Prime Minister David Cameronduring their remarks to the Commonwealth leaders. In addition, newly elected Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland, Baroness Scotland of Asthal is committed to the first two years of her tenure to promote the decriminalization of homosexuality in Commonwealth countries.  Cameron also pledged to increase cooperation among members to deal with “poisonous ideologies” and violent extremism . 
The leaders also came from Vanuatu , which was originally selected, and has been devastated to the island nation by Cyclone. Pam in March 2015.  The British government will be hosting the next CHOGM in London in the spring of 2018, delayed from late 2017 due to other international commitments.   Accordingly, the 26th CHOGM That Was planned for Malaysia in 2019 Was Pushed back to 2020. 
Elizabeth II , Head of the Commonwealth , along with the Duke of Edinburgh , the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall all attended the summit.  The summit coincides with the state of Malta by Elizabeth II as Queen of the United Kingdom , her first visit to the country since 2007. 
Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-Moon  and French President Francois Hollande addressed a special session on climate change. Ban and Nicolas Sarkozy , Hollande’s predecessor, HAD Previously Attended CHOGM 2009 in Trinidad and Tobago prior to the Copenhagen Summit for the Sami reason. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was absent from the meeting – his government has argued that the country should not be allowed to use it. India Was INSTEAD représentée par External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj . 
Leaders in attendance included Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull , Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau , Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena , Prime Minister David Cameron , Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif .   At least 15 leaders did not attend the summit and sent as ministers,  including the Tongan Prime Minister Akilisi Pohiva , who is absent from the heart of health and domestic priorities,  Solomon Islands Prime MinisterManasseh Sogavare , who feels his deputy prime minister instead,  and Vanuatu Prime Minister Sato Kilman , who could not wait for a government crisis that resulted in a snap election .  Tanzania Was représentée par icts High Commissioner , whilst Kenya Was représentée par icts High Commissioner at the Opening Ceremony as Uhuru Kenyatta Did not come up to the second day of the summit. 
The United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP21) to produce “an ambitious, equitable, inclusive, rules-based and sustainable outcome … that includes a legal binding agreement “to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and control climate change .  The statement asserted that “many of the most vulnerable states and communities are already facing the adverse impacts of climate change …” The leaders also called for developed nations to spend $ 100 billion a year by 2020 to help developing countries deal with the effects of climate change.  To that end, Canada pledged $ 2.65 billion over five years to help developing countries.  The UK committed £ 21 million for disaster management and £ 5.5 million for the ocean-based economy while Australia has committed $ 1 million for a new Commonwealth initiative, the Climate Finance Access Hub,   and India pledged $ 2.5 million in assistance.  A $ 1 billion Commonwealth Green Finance Facility, proposed by the Prince of Wales , was also created to support environmental projects among poor Commonwealth nations. 
Peace and security
The final Communiqué issued by leaders at the end of the CHOGM also addressed the issues of peace and security, asserting that “radicalization, violent extremism and terrorism in all its forms and ramifications are serious threats to the whole world” and called upon Commonwealth members fully Implement United Nations Security Council Resolution 2178 (2014) on terrorism and extremism and called Expired for the implementation of “national strategies to counter radicalization and violent extremism and terrorism” including education and the Addressing of grievances and alienation by likely Individuals, PARTICULARLY young people.  The Commonwealth leaders aussi Agreed to a British proposal to create a new unit of experts to counter extremism. The body will be run by theCommonwealth Secretariat , which will fight radicalization and terrorist recruitment across the Commonwealth. Australia has committed $ 2.5 million to the unit in addition to a £ 5 million by Britain.  
The Communiqué also calls for full force in the Arms Trade Treaty of 2014 in the context of illicit trade in small arms. 
Human rights, good governance, and migration
The statement also reaffirmed commitments to human rights and good governance , and respect for the rule of law and the principle of eradicating and eradicating international relations Promoting poverty and sustainable economic development; Strengthening the rule of law; nurturing inclusive and pluralist political systems; combatting Organized crime, human trafficking and people smuggling, and modern day slavery; and Reinforcing respect for human rights ” and call for international co-operation and the adherence of international law in regards to migration, calling on “all stakeholders to work towards a lasting solution to this global issue”. 
On the issue of sutainable development leaders adopté the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and called Expired for icts implementation in the hopes That it would “lead to the eradication of poverty in all icts dimensions and Ensure no one is left behind”  and aussi Agreed “debt relief, debt strategy, debt strategy formulation and debt restructuring.” 
The Communiqué also on the subject of small states, pledging to advocate on their behalf, trade, in particular pledging to increase access to small and small businesses, vulnerable, or developing states, youth, and the importance of developing youth leadership Gender equality and women’s empowerment , calling for particular efforts to “prevent and eliminate child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation “,  public health, underlining the importance of immunization programs to tackle diseases such as malaria and committing states to the eradication of polioa global priority, and calling “on the Commonwealth at large to support the strengthening of policies for universal health coverage in order to build strong and resilient health systems that will, in turn, enable better responses to public health threats and emergencies”. 
The meeting also called for easier movement of Commonwealth citizens between member states. 
Leaders aussi welcomed progress national and regional continuing it exits Such As Improve Bilateral Relations entre Belize and Guatemala and Their border disagreement, reaffirmed ict call for the implementation of Existing United Nations resolutions on the Cyprus conflict , Expressed solidarity with Guyana in icts Ongoing border disputes with Venezuela . [ quote needed ]
- Commonwealth Leaders’ Statement on Climate Action
- Commonwealth Heads of Government Leaders’ Communiqué (CHOGM 2015)
- Valletta Summit on Migration
- 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference
- Jump up^ “Malta to host CHOGM 2015” . 17 November 2013 . Retrieved 17 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Cameron set to antagonize Commonwealth summit hosts again” . Yahoo! . Retrieved 22 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “A chief to wait for CHOGM” . Times of Malta . September 28, 2015 . Retrieved 29 September 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Today at CHOGM” . The Commonwealth . Commonwealth Secretariat . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Theme” . The Commonwealth . Commonwealth Secretariat . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Queen to greet line-up of despot and meeting of Commonwealth Leaders in Malta” . Daily Telegraph . November 26, 2015 . Retrieved 29 November2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “CHOGM Decides – The election of the next Commonwealth Secretary General” . Commonwealth Oral Histories . November 23, 2015 . Retrieved 23 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Lady Scotland lives to be next Commonwealth general secretary” . The Guardian . November 24, 2015 . Retrieved 24 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Alexander Downer alled as next secretary general of the Commonwealth” . The Guardian . November 10, 2015 . Retrieved 23 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Tewarie withdrawn as T & T supports Sanders for Commonwealth SG” . Trinidad and Tobago Guardian . October 29, 2015 . Retrieved 26 November2015 .
- Jump up^ “Commonwealth elects first woman secretary general” . Times of Malta . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “The Baroness Sir Ron beats” . Antigua Observer . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 28 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “New Commonwealth unites to fight extremists” . November 30, 2015 . Retrieved 29 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Baroness Patricia Scotland wins the election” . Antiguan Observer . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 28 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “PM expected to CHOGM and visit Berlin” . Scoop Independent News. Press Release. November 23, 2015 . Retrieved 23 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “CHOGM 2015 to give a boost to climate change Summit – Environment Minister” . Malta Independent . September 7, 2015 . Retrieved 9 October2015 .
- Jump up^ “Canada’s Commonwealth agenda: Trudeau’s Special Climate Session toast to Queen” . CBC News . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Justin Trudeau could be a fresh face for a Commonwealth in need of renewal” . Ottawa Citizen . November 23, 2015 . Retrieved 23 November2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “David Cameron: Commonwealth must fight corruption and extremism” . BBC News . November 28, 2015.
- Jump up^ “Commonwealth seeking strong solutions on climate change” . The Economic Times . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Baroness Scotland uses new role as general secretary of the Commonwealth to call for LGBT rights” . The Independent . November 28, 2015 . Retrieved 28 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/11/27/439357/UK-unveils-counterterrorism-measure-for-Commonwealth
- Jump up^ “Commonwealth dream looms in Brexit campaign” . BBC News . November 26, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Britain to host next Commonwealth summit in 2018” . Global Post . Frace Press Agency. November 28, 2015 . Retrieved 28 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j “Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting Communiqué (Malta CHOGM 2015)” (PDF) . The Commonwealth . Commonwealth Secretariat . Retrieved 29 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ http://www.news.lk/news/world/item/6536-queen-to-travel-to-malta-for-commonwealth-summit
- Jump up^ “State Visit to Malta and CHOGM” . British Monarchy press release . October 27, 2015 . Retrieved 13 April 2016 .
- Jump up^ “A chief to wait for CHOGM” . Times of Malta . September 28, 2015 . Retrieved 9 October 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Holland to Address Malta Commonwealth Summit on Climate Change” . Bloomberg . November 25, 2015 . Retrieved November 26, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Sushma Swaraj leaves for Malta to attend Commonwealth Summit” . DNA India . November 26, 2015 . Retrieved 26 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Commonwealth summit kicks off unprecedented security . ” Business Standard . Press Trust of India. November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “At Commonwealth Trudeau is on the strange case of the Maltese Talkin’ ” . Globe and Mail . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Domestic concerns come first to Tonga PM” . New Zealand Radio . November 25, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “PM DECIDED NOT TO WAIT COP21 DUE TO PARLIAMENT” . Solomon Islands B . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Vanuatu’s president dissolves parliament after MPs convicted of bribery” . Radio Australia . November 24, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November2015 .
- Jump up^ “Queen to open the Commonwealth meeting in Malta” . The Herald Voice . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 27 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Commonwealth leaders call for Legally binding climate change deal” . CTV News . November 29, 2015 . Retrieved November 29, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Trudeau pledges $ 2.65B to climate change fund at Commonwealth summit” . Toronto Star . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved November 29,2015 .
- Jump up^ “Australia, Britain and Canada commit to climate change action at Commonwealth summit” . The Commonwealth . Commonwealth Secretariat. November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 29 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “New Hub to help small states access millions for climate change” . Commonwealth Secretariat . November 28, 2015 . Retrieved 29 November2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “India Pledges $ 2.5 million aid for Commonwealth nations” . Omnamorama . November 29, 2015 . Retrieved 29 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Prince of Wales proposed new initiative to help environmental projects”. The Commonwealth . Commonwealth Secretariat. November 26, 2015 . Retrieved 29 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Britain to fund team of counter-extremism experts in Commonwealth” . The Guardian . November 27, 2015 . Retrieved 29 November 2015 .