The 45th Pacific Islands Forum was held from 29 July to 1 August 2014 in Palau .  The forum’s official opening Was Held in the capital Ngerulmud , in Melekeok State , the aim of events majorité Were Held in Koror , Palau’s Largest city and capital form.  The official theme of the meeting was “The Ocean: Life & Future”. Topics under debate include climate change , commercial fishing, Non-communicable diseases and the possibility of readmitting Fiji to the forum.
The Pacific Islands Forum is an inter-governmental organization that aims to enhance cooperation between the independent countries of the Pacific Ocean . It was founded in 1971 as the South Pacific Forum. In 1999, the name was changed; Pacific Islands Forum is more inclusive of the Oceania Forum -spanning membership of both Pacific island countries and Australia . It is an official observer at the United Nations .
The mission of the Pacific Islands Forum is a member of the South Pacific Forum of Governments, to enhance the economic and social well-being of the South Pacific, by representing the interests of the Forum members in ways agreed by the Forum “. Its decisions are implemented by the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (PIFS), which grew out of the South Pacific Bureau for Economic Co-operation (SPEC). The Forum has had its role in harmonizing regional positions on various political and policy issues, the Forum Secretariat has technical programs in economic development, transport and trade. The Pacific Islands Forum Secretary General is the permanent Chairman of theCouncil of Regional Organizations in the Pacific(CROP). 
President of Palau Tommy Remengesau declared the official theme of the forum would be “The Ocean: Life & Future”,  with the major focus on the issue of climate change amidst concern over rising sea levels and sinking islands in the Pacific Ocean.  He stated that the solution to the problem of rising carbon emissions is the reduction of CO2 emissions.  Pacific Islands leaders plan to produce a follow-up to the Majuro Declaration , which was passed to the 44th Pacific Islands Forum with the support of United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon .  Secretary General of the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat Tuiloma Neroni Slade commends Remengesau for the choice of theme, a lecture on Small Islands Developing States (SIDS) to be held in Samoa , in September . ” 
Other topics on the agenda include the commercial fishing and non-communicable diseases.  Earlier this year, President Remengesau proposed a commercial fishing in Palau. Bans and other ways to promote marine conservation will be discussed at the Forum.  Leaders are upset that despite the lucrative nature of the Pacific tuna fishing industry, worth about four billion US dollars per year, it is poorly managed and little of the money trickles back to Pacific countries. Prevalence of smoking and obesity are widespread in the Pacific, and leaders in Palau want to discuss ways to reduce these problems at the Forum. To model the best practices, to have been banned during the event, and dietary guidelines have been put in place for food served at all meetings during the event. 
The readmission of Fiji to the Pacific Islands Forum was also discussed at the Forum. Fiji was banned in 2009 after the military government that took power in the 2006 Fijian coup d’état promised elections in 2009 but failed to hold them.  However, readmission is unlikely to occur before the Fijian election in September.  Prime Minister of New Zealand John Key said Fiji to return to the Forum, Foreign Minister of Fiji Ratu Inoke Kubuabolapreviously stated that Fiji would not consider reapplying unless Australia and New Zealand were banned from the forum. 
In addition to representatives of the 15 participating countries, representatives of major powers such as the United States , China , India , and the European Union also attended the forum.   Former White House Chief of Staff and current Counselor to the President John Podesta led the US delegation to the forum, a group of senior officials from the National Security Council , United States Pacific Command , United States Coast Guard , United States Department of State ,United States Department of the Interior , Peace Corps , United States Agency for International Development , and Hawaii .  The delegation of the European Union Was led by High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy for the EU and vice president of the European Commission Catherine Ashton . Ashton will speak at a plenary session on 30 July and host a dinner that same evening. Her goals are to discuss issues of climate change and strategic relations between the EU and Pacific islands. The EU has already agreed to provide 750 million Euros for bilateral and regional cooperation. 
Prime Minister of Australia Tony Abbott and Prime Minister of New Zealand John Key , heads of government of the two largest countries in the Forum, were both unable to attend.  Tony Abbott was occupied with matters concerning the crash of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 . The Australian delegation was elected by Deputy Prime Minister of Australia Warren Truss and Parliamentary Secretary Brett Mason .  The New Zealand delegation led by Foreign Minister Was Murray McCully , Who has promised $ 5 million program to update navigation maps for the area, and to help protect Pacific fisheries.  The Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand condemned the issue of climate change. 
The forum concluded with Lady Meg Taylor of Papua New Guinea being appointed Secretary General of the Pacific Islands Forum . 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f “Pacific leaders to the Chat climate change, sustainable fishing During Pacific Islands Forum in Palau” . Radio Australia. July 28, 2014 . Retrieved 29 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ Calendar of Events- Palau FIP. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Jump up^ Unattributed. “About Us” . Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat . Retrieved 29 July 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Pacific Islands Forum to open in Palau” . Xinhua News Agency . Global Times. 29 July 2014 . Retrieved 29 July 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Pacific summit to urge actions are climate change” . AFP . MSN. July 28, 2014 . Retrieved 29 July 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Climate Concerns have aired Pacific summit opens” . AFP . Yahoo !. 29 July 2014 . Retrieved 29 July 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Schwartz, Dominque (29 July 2014). “Leaders gather in Palau for the Pacific Islands Forum” . Australia Network News . Retrieved 29 July 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “EU High Representative to Attend Pacific Islands Forum in Palau” . The Jet. 29 July 2014 . Retrieved 29 July2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Yeo, Sophie (29 July 2014). “Podesta heads to Pacific climate meet, NZ and Aus PMs decline” . Responding to Climate Change . Retrieved 29 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ “McCullys 5m safety boost for Pacific” . Stuff / Fairfax. July 30, 2014.
- Jump up^ “NZ to help protect Pacific fisheries” . Stuff / Fairfax. July 30, 2014.
- Jump up^ “PNG’s Lady Meg Taylor will be PIFS First Female Secretary General” . Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014 . Retrieved 3 August 2014 .